Skip to main content

Cunningham- Week 2

This was my second week tutoring my second grader at Cunningham School for Excellence. Overall it went very well! When I first got there on Thursday morning, my student was very excited to see me and to go out into the hallway to start reading. We talked for a little bit at first and she told me her birthday was coming up and how she was excited for it. It was good to see her more comfortable and talkative and she was asking questions about what book we were going to read next!
Image result for sheep in a jeep
To start, we went through the alphabet letters and my student was able to identify them all and the sounds that they make. This was very easy for her to go through but did help her identify the specific sound that belongs to each letter. I think this assessment was very good for her as an introduction activity/ warm up. We then looked at the next book we were going to read, being Sheep in a Jeep by Nancy Shaw. We began by taking a picture walk, which I think was a good start because she told me and described what she thought was happening before we even read it. It was cool to hear her story she was making up along the way before we had gone through the story.
Learning from the last time, I decided we would read through it by echo reading first. This was me reading the page, and he reading (echoing) what I had just read. This helped her with knowing how to pronounce some words, and she was able to copy my tone of voice I had used to read. Then we went through it again, but this time, she read it by herself.

We then took the word families in the book and I had her write them down on the whiteboard. This activity went really well and she responded to it in a great way! She really liked finding words on each page that had similar word families like sheep, jeep, sweep, and even more! This activity went so well that I think I will be using it again in the future because she loved doing it do much. I think being able to write on the whiteboard was a favorite too!

Overall, the second session went very well and I am excited to see her continue to learn and grow, and find ways that help her in that as well!

Comments

  1. Keep up the hard work! I plan on using the book you chose for my future references!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction- About Me!

  My name is Brenna Bleeker and I am a sophomore here at the University of Northern Iowa. I grew up in LeClaire, Iowa, a small town right along side of the Mississippi River. At home I live with my mom, dad and my older brother who is a firefighter in our hometown. I enjoy spending time with my family and extended family because I have so many cousins, aunts and uncles in my family. I enjoy doing crafty things and being artsy every once in a while. Once of my favorite things is just being around my friends and hanging out with them, watching movies, or going out to eat. Baking with my mom is one of my favorite things, which means my favorite dessert is homemade cookies! I decided to come to the University of Northern Iowa because the idea of going to a college that had a focus on teaching was pretty perfect to me. This is my first blog so come on my journey of teaching!

Voice Typing!

Voice Typing on Google Docs is a great way for students to lay out what they want to say in a paper, power point, or any document. This new use of technology allows for some students to have an easier time with figuring out what they want to say, and then changing/ editing it later. Even for children that are good at typing, this can give them a new challenge to figure out how to use this new feature on Google Docs. Voice Typing is a great tool to use in a classroom for papers you assign the students, of even small projects where they can practice using this. Image Source

Kahoot!

Kahoot! is a great way to help your students learn. This website/ app allows students to interactively answer questions that are related to the topic you're learning. The teacher sets up a quiz and gives the students a code to enter into the app on their phones. The next part is the interactive part! The kids can easily answer the questions and are able to get immediate feedback. This is a great resource to use in your classroom and is a great way to get kids of any age started in learning technology! Use this for any subject as an easy way to make learning fun for your students and make it easier to see how well your students are doing in that subject. Just download the free app and you're ready to go! To start a game, click here ! Image Source