Skip to main content

Cunningham Week 4

Today Brooke and I finished tutoring our student at Cunningham Elementary for the fourth week. This week went better than last week, and I think a lot of it had to deal with her now being used to both of us being there and working with her. Last week was the first time we were both tutoring her and I think now, the familiarity with both of us helped this tutoring session to go a lot smoother.

Image result for animal strike at the zooWe started with reading the book Animal Strike at the Zoo by Karma Wilson. Brooke asked her if she had read this book before, and she hadn't, so that was nice to be able to go through something she hadn't already read, because it helped her keep her attention towards the book better. We first walked through the front cover, and were looking at what a 'strike' meant. She seemed to understand this word and we talked about how it meant the animals were going to go on strike in this book. Since we have found that the best way to keep her attention while reading a book, and the way we can keep her interested in the book, is to read it with her on some more challenging parts, we did that yet again. Brooke was able to read with her and ask her questions throughout the book like: what do you think will happen next? What does weeping mean? What are the animals doing on this page?, and questions like that to help guide her thinking and keep her attention while reading the book.

The next thing we did was the spelling test. I gave our student handwriting paper, rather than just a blank piece of white paper, or even notebook paper for that matter. I wanted the handwriting paper to help guide how she wrote and to hopefully get her handwriting to be better organized. This did help keep her words on the lines and straight. When I started reading the first few words, I realized that she was more behind in spelling than I had thought, being that some words she would add the letter e at the end of some words like 'fan', stating that "other words have an e and the end too, so this one should". Overall, she was able to get a majority of the words spelled somewhat correctly, but there was still a lot wrong with the spellings.

 Lastly, we were able to add more to our ABC book. She really looks forward to this and knows that we always work on this at the end of our 30 minutes each week. I think it's good to have something like this that she can look forward to and gives her something that is continuous each week. We got the letters M-Q, and when it came to thinking of an animal that started with the letter Q, she told me that there was a bird that started with the letter Q, but didn't know what it was. We ended up coming to the conclusion that she was thinking of a quail. I thought this showed how she was able to think a little further outside of the norm, and maybe she had made a text to world connection to think of this.

Overall, I think this week went better than last week management wise because she was a lot more attentive and willing to cooperate. I really enjoyed tutoring this week and am looking forward to the next 2 weeks and being able to help her grow even more!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction- About Me!

  My name is Brenna Bleeker and I am a sophomore here at the University of Northern Iowa. I grew up in LeClaire, Iowa, a small town right along side of the Mississippi River. At home I live with my mom, dad and my older brother who is a firefighter in our hometown. I enjoy spending time with my family and extended family because I have so many cousins, aunts and uncles in my family. I enjoy doing crafty things and being artsy every once in a while. Once of my favorite things is just being around my friends and hanging out with them, watching movies, or going out to eat. Baking with my mom is one of my favorite things, which means my favorite dessert is homemade cookies! I decided to come to the University of Northern Iowa because the idea of going to a college that had a focus on teaching was pretty perfect to me. This is my first blog so come on my journey of teaching!

Voice Typing!

Voice Typing on Google Docs is a great way for students to lay out what they want to say in a paper, power point, or any document. This new use of technology allows for some students to have an easier time with figuring out what they want to say, and then changing/ editing it later. Even for children that are good at typing, this can give them a new challenge to figure out how to use this new feature on Google Docs. Voice Typing is a great tool to use in a classroom for papers you assign the students, of even small projects where they can practice using this. Image Source

Kahoot!

Kahoot! is a great way to help your students learn. This website/ app allows students to interactively answer questions that are related to the topic you're learning. The teacher sets up a quiz and gives the students a code to enter into the app on their phones. The next part is the interactive part! The kids can easily answer the questions and are able to get immediate feedback. This is a great resource to use in your classroom and is a great way to get kids of any age started in learning technology! Use this for any subject as an easy way to make learning fun for your students and make it easier to see how well your students are doing in that subject. Just download the free app and you're ready to go! To start a game, click here ! Image Source